Saturday, January 10, 2009

Matching Albums to Life

There are certain albums that remind me of times in my life. They aren't necessarily my favorite albums, but I was listening to them at a time in my life that was very meaningful.

For example:

  • Nirvana Unplugged in New York. Reminds me of 7th grade. Sitting in my room with my brand new boombox and listening to the CD over and over again. Sheets of guitar tabs from the internet spread around my floor, first learning to play About a Girl, then Polly.

A few others:

  • Blink 182 Enema of the State - Summer before my senior year of high school. Driving around with the windows down on a warm summer night. Swimming in the pool in my backyard with all my friends over.
  • Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Spring sometime while I was still living with my parents. Commutes to work.
  • Ben Folds Five - The day I turned 16. Finally being able to drive in my own car and listen to music as loud as I wanted.
  • Bog Scheider Lonelyland - Living in East Dallas. Nights hanging out on the back porch. Driving down to Lower Greenville to watch Bob play every time he came to town.
  • Fountains of Wayne Welcome Interstate Managers - 5th year senior year. College drive at its peak.
  • The Shins Wincing the Night Away - Spring Time in Japan. Cherry blossoms, walking around Kyoto on my own. Train rides to Osaka.
As for summer 08-09 Australia - Kings of Leon Only by the Night.

4 comments:

Master Baron Von Tuckenstein the First Esquire said...

Marcy's Playground - Sex and Candy
Summer after sophomore year of high school. I had a girlfriend give me the cd for valentines day and she wanted me to kiss her so bad, but I had never really kissed a girl. After a couple weeks she broke up with me because I could never get enough guts to go for it. So I spent the summer listening to that album and playing Ultima of the Underworld on my computer. I can't hear any of those songs without being transported back to playing that game.

Kylea Hapka said...

Speaking of Blink 182...I still have all the lyrics to the song we wrote for you memorized... To the tune of "All the Small Things"...
I was alone. It was a Friday night. I went to thrift town to get to feelin right. Then I saw Mr. Dad, we started making out. I put his shirt on my body. And that's about the time I got that weird disease. Nobody washed it since the seventies. I wore cheap flip flops my whole junior year. What's this shaving cream on me? I never passed that turtle's phase. When's that supposed to end? What's my age again?" You can thank me later.

Sean said...

You need to post a new blog dude.

Sean said...

Oasis - WTSMG
Last year of high school, sitting in my room in my parents house thinking: "This isn't that great." One year later, I decided it was an amazing album.

Elbow - Asleep in the Back. Autumn 2003
It was introduced to me by a girl I no longer keep in touch with. It's a phenomenal album but reminds me of my failed attempts to make new friends.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
The greatest DJ album ever. Since university it's been one of my top 5 consistently. Originally started as a chillax album; has become an album for the ages.

The Verve - A Northern Soul

This is the album that showed me music was more than sounds through speakers: it can be revolution. I finally found the music that suited me.